Thursday, August 13, 2009

I'm not a narcissist, I swear..

..or maybe I am. I don't know. What I do know is limited to the following: I like to read, I like to watch movies, and I need a change. This blog appears now with the advice and good intentions from my dad who wisely says, even if no one reads it, you will be able to practice something you enjoy. To be honest, I've always thought of Bloggers to be a bit presumptuous in thinking that whatever thoughts they have must of course be so wonderful, so important, that the only proper course of action would be to publish them for others, so that they too may benefit from these enlightening thoughts. But my dad usually gives good advice, so now, here I am. "Practicing" my writing and trying with all my might to add just an inkling of change to my life.

I should correct that. I am mostly happy. I am engaged to be married, I'm in love with or maybe obsessed with my dog, and I have wonderful friends. But there is something very obviously missing that I have been trying to find ever since graduation. A career. One that I enjoy and am proud of. Something I am as equally invested and successful in. Figuring this out has been a problem.

There are a certain breed of people you meet in life that love to give advice. They tell you to sit down and think about what you're passionate about, what makes you tick, what is that one thing you could do every day and be happy? Then once you have a smile on your face, thinking about that passion, that one thing that makes you happy, those same people tell you to go out into the world and find a way to make money with that passion; then you will have found your perfect career. So simple. So exciting. Until you realize those same people are liars and eternal optimists that are mostly full of shit. I mean, don't get me wrong, in most cases I think they actually believe in the advice. But they are also, not normal. They are the ones who always happen to meet celebrities when they go to the grocery store, or win the good door prize at their office party, or, who in following their own advice, ended up with a job as a stylist for some C list celebrity they bumped into at the market. I am not one of those people. I am the person who left the office party with the company-logo baseball cap.

Finding this perfect career will be a challenge. A challenge that, as it seems, I will be writing about. In a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment